————————–i had a lover’s quarrel with the world…
———————————————-the best way out is always through.
———————————–- robert frost
Two (separate) Frost quotes that describe so well the last couple weeks. I suppose I should say that the little joys of this past weekend have managed to anesthetize things a bit.
* Was nearly on my way out the office for a run, then got stopped/delayed for a good while. But then later, waiting for the light to turn crossing 1st St., a car rushed by and sprayed the street with $1 and $5 bills. Upped net worth by $15, eyyy!
* Spent the evening eating a giant albacore tuna burger and curly fries with some beer and vodka… on a boat. Then some mindless awkward dancing at layover.
* I’d participated in this Bring Back the Mile pick-the-winner competition(?) thing a few weeks ago, and then promptly forgot that I did. Almost deleted an email (thought it was spam) from a BBTM guy telling me I’d guessed the closest winning time for the men’s race. I was off by 1 centisecond! *bows* I’m going to get free stuff from BBTM. And free stuff from Running Warehouse :D :D :D
* Met up with a friend at Sports Basement to try on climbing and running shoes. They only had a few La Sportiva and evolv models, meh.
* Dinner at Nation’s. My pre-race dinner ended up being a cheeseburger, a chili cheese dog, half an order of french toast, half an oreo cookie milkshake. Hm, probably not the best idea in hindsight, but it worked out well. Had a deja vu moment (with my Carl’s Jr before CIM).
* Had a nice walk/Bart/Muni trip to my coworker’s place near the start of Kaiser Half. Nice to empty my mind and just walk in cold, windy darkness. At the house, a group of us watched random videos, including Too Many Cooks and Paula Newby-Fraser bonking hard in 1995. Some of us also decided to play nail/metal puzzles. I can’t find a picture of the metal one that was there, but it was ridiculous. The others weren’t too bad.
Sunday, 2/1 (and Kaiser RR)
* I do believe my PR plateau has more or less arrived. I’ve now hit sub-2:00 for the half marathon (1:53:05). It’ll be much tougher going forward.
* Mini RR
Had a bit of space food, water, and headed out. This was an 8am start, but for some reason people were in winter jackets and long tights and all that. I considered wearing my onesie over my typical tank/shorts combo, but it was too high maintenance to have to then strip, pack it in a bag then drop it off for transportation to the finish. Plus, it wasn’t even that cold. Just a bit nippy. And the sun was already out… ugh.
I had a slow start… I’m used to 7, 7:30am start times. The first few miles were highly uneventful and not very pretty. After we looped back and started our trek through Golden Gate Park proper (along JFK), it was very, very lovely. I need to run here more often.
Turning onto Great Highway was tough… as I am lacking a better term to encompass all my thoughts around this. That same turn felt better the Sunday before…? or perhaps I was just deluding myself. My times started to increase again, even though I’d just run a slight decline and was now at flat sea-level for the next few miles. The cheer squads along the highway, well, they kind of made me feel lonely (although, h/t to the guy who yelled ‘go, green hawk!’) and the expansive beach views were breathtaking… and breathtaking. Felt exhausting.
But despite everything, I maintained a sub-9:00 min/mile pace throughout, and was able to finish well. Made up a lot of ground in the last mile, and in the last straightaway. The finish was after a few turns with poor visibility; I can typically rev better when I see the finish, so meh to that. But bulldozing past swathes of people, especially the ones who’d challenged me early and/or throughout the race (you, girl in the gray tank and black shorts. you, super tall girl in the black/red tank and black tights. you, girl in the purple l/s), was delicious. Making more memories of Ocean Beach and the Great Highway, equally so.
Some things seen
– more people in Oiselle
– 4 shiba inus
– 1 waterfall
– 1 pagoda
Race Photos, and one non-race photo
* I am training for a 50 miler, so I suppose this was a good way to build up weird endurance, but generally, I highly advise against grabbing a shit ton of muscle milk type bottled protein drinks and bananas and energy bars, and then walking approximately 5.2 miles with all that crap (plus my change of clothes, shoes, laptop, etc.).
However, some fun stops
- Mojo with my boss. Talked about the ridiculous shit that goes on in our lives, and in our work. Mojo has great sandwiches, and there’s a bike shop in the back. Over the course of our approximately 2-hour late brunch, I was able to offload 2 protein drink bottles from my backpack. Huzzah (but still, not really that much relative to what was still in there).
– REI has a larger selection of climbing shoes than does Sports Basement. Was able to get my sizing for La Sportiva, evolv, Five Ten, Boreal, and Scarpa. Sizing is way off for all these brands. Hot mess. Can’t even go by euro sizing, which generally works for other shoes :\
* Realized earlier in the day that the Super Bowl was… that day. So I watched it. And wow, the epic fail. Pounding the Rock did a comparison of this game with the epic fail that was the Spurs’ blowing of the 2013 NBA Finals. Some good insights.
* Ate all of the thai foods.
* So if Running Warehouse is my run-gear significant other, hmm, I definitely cheated on RW with 6pm.com. Hellooo, 40% off Saucony Peregrine 4 in an impossible-to-find size, and hellooo, 46% off Saucony Kinvara 5 (although I’m pretty sure they listed the latter by mistake. they are nowhere to be found anymore on the site, understandably… after all, they are still the current model! the Kinvara 4s still on the site aren’t even 46% off!). Also, this is the second time Kinvara 5 has been photo’d on this site. I do love these shoes!
And that’s all, folks.